Domestic Flights in Uganda
Scheduled & chartered domestic flights are available in Uganda. We take a look at Aerolink’s small flights between safari destinations. Aerolink is the leading private domestic flight service provider in Uganda.
Given few major urban commercial cities lie more than four to eight hours’ drive from the capital, flying is not a viable domestic transport option for most people in Uganda. There’s practically only one international airport in Entebbe and a couple of CAA-managed and privately run airstrips scattered around the countryside. Only three domestic schedule operators, Aerolink, Eagle Air, and Kampala Aeroclub and Flight Training Centre (KAFTC). They operate daily scheduled domestic flights.
Scheduled Uganda Local Flights by Aerolink
The only local air service likely to interest tourists are scheduled domestic flights run by Aerolink to several game parks or nearby gateway towns.
- Entebbe – Kihihi – Bwindi Impenetrable NP: From Kihihi someone can connect to Mweya/Kasese (Queen Elizabeth NP) and Semiliki (Semiliki NP & Kibale NP)
- Entebbe – Mweya/Kasese (Queen Elizabeth NP): From Mweya/Kases someone can connect to Kihihi/Kisoro (Bwindi Impenetrable NP), and Semmili
- Entebbe – Pakuba/Bugungu/Chobe (Murchison Falls NP): From there on can connect to Kasese/Mweya, Kihihi and Kidepo NP
- Entebbe – Pakuba, Bugungu, Chobe (Murchison Falls National Park)
- Entebbe – Semiliki: From Semiliki one can connect to Kisoro/Kihii and Mweya/Kasese
- Entebbe – Mbarara: Daily Mid Morning flight available except in April, May and November.
- Entebbe – Masai Mara in Kenya
- Entebbe – Kisumu
Due to the nature of our flight either on Schedule or Charter, the light aircrafts in Uganda are small in size and therefore have much smaller luggage holds than most of typical airlines. Therefore, you must adhere to the rules and regulations regarding flight baggage limitation and stand to get frustrated.
- On all services, the maximum luggage weight is 15 kgs /33lbs in soft sided bags.
- As a guideline, standard checked luggage should have the three dimensions of 24 inches (60cm) height, by 18 inches (45cm) length and 13 inches (33cm) width.
- For hand luggage, 12 inches (30cm) height, by 21 inches (53cm) length, by 9 inches (23cm) width.
- Personal items like handbags, small umbrellas, walking sticks, coats, small backpack can be stored under the seat in front of the passenger or in an overhead bin where applicable. These items must not exceed 5 Kgs/ 11lbs and are part of the baggage allowance of 15kgs/ 33lbs.
- On Scheduled flights, to accommodate additional luggage, please book and pay for an additional freight seat in advance. The extra seat will allow for an additional 75kgs/165lbs excess luggage.
- If you wish to carry additional luggage on space availability, the prevailing rate of USD 3 will apply per kilo for local flights and USD 4 for Kisumu, Maasai Mara flights. This may not be an available option on the date of departure